Thursday, July 9, 2009

My last day in Westchester

Hello everyone!

Well, I had a very busy weekend here in Westchester Medical Center!

Katie came down this weekend. We had a great time playing cards. Anyone remember how to play Spit? We were making so much noise the nurses came in to check on me and make sure I was ok! My friend from college, Malinda, came down with her husband on Sunday morning and brought me all kinds of snacks and goodies, had me all set up for a long hospital stay.

Of course, that changed quickly.

Sunday evening I started having a stomach ache and I asked to be put on the fetal monitor to see if the pains were contractions. But the machine didn't show any contractions, so Adam went home and I tried to go back to sleep. My stomach aches didn't get better. The nurse called the doctor and the doctor said.... "no more monkeys jumping on the bed!" No, actually, he said to send me to labor and delivery for more monitoring. I thought they were all bored, having a slow night because, obviously, the monitor already said I wasn't having any contractions. I went to labor and delivery, pouting and complaining, where they put me on the monitor, which said again, no contractions. My stomach aches got worse and I started to notice a pattern. I got my phone out and started timing the cramps, they were lasting a minute and coming every minute! The doctor did a check after I told her that and found that I was about 3cm dilated, so they decided I was in labor after all, told me to call Adam and things really started moving from there. That was at about 1:30am. I got an epidural around 2:00am, Adam arrived at 2:30. I was ready to push by 5:00 am. After pushing for about 5 minutes, we met Sarai! It all happened VERY fast! In fact, I think we're all still in shock.

So Sarai is in the NICU being well taken care of. For a 3 1/2 lb baby, she's big for the NICU. She was taken off the ventilator last night and is now on a less invasive C PAP to give her some support for breathing. They also started giving her milk last night too. You know, I had a doctor come check on me Sunday morning while I was still pregnant. He was very sweet, optimistic, he had a little accent, kind of sounded Caribbean. He said they take care of babies in the NICU that are only 24 weeks, 25 weeks, and he said, "You are almost tirty-two weeks! Dey be jumpin' for dat!" And in fact, I've heard the doctors refer to her as a "big baby" more than once.

My mom came down on Monday. It was SO GREAT to have her here to help ask questions, and of course, Aunt Kathy has been just a phone call away helping us in that department too. I know the paparazzi may have leaked a picture or two of our little girl (well, I said it was ok!) , but I'm waiting to take more pictures until she's got a few less tubes. So, you'll just have to be patient!

I was discharged from the hospital today, so today was not an easy day for us. But we're ready to head back tomorrow and see our little lady. Thank you all for your cards and prayers and e-mails and thoughts! It's been very comforting to know we have so many people thinking of us! I'll let you know if we have any major changes, and I promise I'll send pictures soon!

Love, Mandee/Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment