Saturday, August 15, 2009

"Splish splash, I was takin' a bath..."


Posted Aug 15, 2009 6:18pm
Did anyone ever tell me that I wouldn’t sleep once the baby came home? Actually, I think everyone did and they ALL couldn’t be more right! Now try having your baby home on a monitor and see how well you sleep. Not good.

Sarai was not herself last night. She wouldn’t settle in, unless she was snuggling with me. I tried to let her sleep in her bassinette, but she really didn’t sleep a wink all night. She had her first doctor appointment today and that was GREAT. Her doctor was so sweet and very excited about the cord blood possibilities. We talked to the doctor about Sarai’s difficult night and she basically said, “Of course she was upset! She left the only home she knew!” But she’s so much better today. She slept one stretch for 5 hours, which means she’ll probably sleep less tonight, but I’m just glad she’s sleeping. So far today we haven’t had her on the monitor. Seriously, that thing was going off every 1-2 minutes. We had it on her in the doctor and the doctor thought what we thought, it’s not giving correct numbers. It was saying her oxygen saturation was 60% and there she was pink, smiling and wiggling around. Our friend Beth let us borrow a sort of monitor that goes under her mattress so I think we’ll try that tonight. We had her on it for a nap today and I think it’s going to be the reassurance we need without the overkill.

Promising news from Duke! I got an e-mail last night from the doctor doing the study. They are infusing cord blood into babies with PVL within a few months of life. She gave me quite a bit of other information; cost, travel time, etc. They’re getting the cord blood report to see if Sarai will qualify. I’m afraid to get my hopes up… but they’re sort of up!

Thank goodness mom is here! She let me take a nice nap today, twice. I feel like I have so much to do it’s hard to rest, but it felt good. We’re going to get Sarai into her first bath in a few minutes. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment